Kulu purses and bags utilize the highest quality game hides and are made with expert craftsmanship for enduring beauty and durability. However, as with any natural product, proper care must be taken to ensure the longevity of these lovely pieces. Slight leather ‘imperfections’ and color variations are natural and normal and serve to enhance the uniqueness and beauty of your Kulu handbag. Leather may scuff if treated harshly, mark if wet and fade with overexposure to sunlight.
Many of our handbags have hair on hide which also requires care. Use a soft cloth dampened with water only to gently wipe fur if it becomes soiled. Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight, water, etc.
As with any fur product, a certain amount of hair loss is to be expected. This can be minimized greatly by avoiding carrying your Kulu with the fur side close to the body and having it rub against you. Many of our handbags have leather on one side for this reason.
We use many different hides and leathers in various colors and shades in our products. For most of these, you may use a leather conditioner of your choice, following the directions on the label. Always first try it in an inconspicuous place to ensure it does not discolor the leather. For our Ice White leathers, most marks can be wiped off with a damp soft cloth. Over time, if some scuffing occurs, we have found a good quality white shoe polish (again, applied according to directions) really makes the leather look brand new!
Some of our leathers have an almost waxy feel. This leather can mark and scuff which is natural. The marks and scuffing give the leather a textured and unique look, making your Kulu even more singular! But if you want to remove the marks, the easiest way is literally rubbing the marks with your fingers. Your body oils do the best job of eliminating these marks. Try this with a handbag and you will see what we mean.
For care of our Kulu Python products, we suggest the following:
- Keep in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid direct sunlight, heat and moisture.
- Avoid contact with water/oil/grease/hand cream or any chemical products.
- Do not fold or stress in any way; allow it to rest naturally.
- Keep in a cloth bag when not in use to prevent dust collecting and possible staining.
- Fill with tissue paper/ any other form of ‘filler’ when not in use to help maintain the structure over time.
- Wipe the item gently with a soft cotton cloth as necessary. Always wipe in the direction of the scale.
- Remove stains immediately to minimize possible damage.
- Oil stains should be lightly sprinkled with talcum powder immediately to draw out the oil.
- Allow the powder to remain on the leather for a while, and then gently brush off.
Color tone changes are common with the use of your product due to external light and the natural oils found in your skin.
When choosing a cleaning product, test on a hidden area of the leather first, in order to anticipate potential undesirable effects.